UAE Announces Changes to the Visa Regime for Residency and Tourists
27 April 2022
The UAE cabinet has announced major changes to the UAE visa system, which will see new entry visas with simplified requirements and more benefits for visitors and residents.
The following are the key highlights of the new visa system:
Tourist visa updates
- Tourist visas will be valid for 60 days, an expansion from the current 30.
- A five-year, multi-entry tourist visa was also introduced, which allows visitors to stay up to 90 continuous days in the UAE. However, they can’t exceed 180 days in a year.
Additional categories to the UAE golden visa
- The UAE updated the Golden Residence rules as a part of the new Entry and Residence Scheme. The scope of beneficiaries is expanded offering more benefits including 10 years renewable residence
- It will also become easier for residents to be granted a UAE golden visa, with simplified requirements and expanded talents able to apply. Public and real estate investors are covered in the expanded categories, as well as exceptional talents in fields that include art and culture, digital technology and sport. An array of scientists and professionals as well as frontline heroes are also eligible to apply.
New entry visa types
- The new Entry and Residence Scheme offers 10 types of entry visas with simplified requirements and more benefits. New visas require no host or sponsor, offer more flexibility, multi entry, 60 days validity and one unified platform to apply at
- Young talents and skilled talents will be able to explore job opportunities through a new visa that won’t require a UAE host or sponsor.
- There will also be easy entry for those looking to explore investment and business opportunities without needing a UAE sponsor.
New type of Residency permits & other changes
- The new system for residence visas and entry permits offers new types of residence permits for investors, skilled employees, self-employment and family members. The new types provide customized benefits to each category.
- Several visas, including the one-year remote working visa, five-year retirement visa and two-year real estate owner visa require no sponsor and can be renewed for the same period.
- Residents will also be able to sponsor their unmarried sons until the age of 25, rather than 18, and unmarried daughters regardless of their age.
Source: Khaleej Times article here.
The new Entry and Residence Scheme offers ten types of entry visas with simplified requirements and more benefits. In this publication - we have summarised all the residence and visit visas currently available for foreign nationals.